Monday, January 11, 2010

What a day.........so far......

I was really looking forward to Azaylee's 4 month appointment at the pediatrician this morning. We haven't been since the 2 month mark and I am really ready to know her weight, height and all that good stuff. Somehow I managed to get the first appointment of the day at 8:30. I got there at 8:20 and the door wasn't unlocked yet, so I waited with Azaylee for about 25 minutes until the door finally opened at 8:45. This wasn't a huge deal, plus they did apologize for running behind. After that I went up to the desk to sign in and they said I had to wait and they would call me up when they were ready. I watched a couple of people go up and pay their co-pays and one lady who's daughter appt was at 8:35 came and went. I was getting a little frustrated and Azaylee was also. (I had given her Tylenol right before we left home since she was getting shots.) Finally, I went up to the desk again around 9:15 and was told I couldn't be seen because I had an outstanding balance. I knew that our insurance was trying to charge us for two visits in September while Azaylee was still being covered by me, but assumed if I paid my copay and we got down to the bottom of this after talking with the pediatrician after my visit today that things would be fine. Besides, we don't actually owe the amount they are trying to charge us for. The guy at the front desk called Blue Cross and Blue Shield per my request and decided that if I paid the copay they would let me be seen as long as I fixed the balance within the week. At this point Azaylee was crying and I was having trouble even hearing over her. So I paid the copay and got ready to go back. After 5 more minutes the guy at the front desk called me back up and said they had changed their minds and Azaylee couldn't be seen. SO.....after 1 and 1/2 hours of sitting in that place, we couldn't be seen? And when you called to confirm my appointment why didn't you tell me? I am normally pretty even tempered, but at this point I was mad. Mad that my child had Tylenol for no reason. Mad about getting Zay out in the cold and making her sit in a flu-ridden waiting room for nothing, and mad that after all this they had already taken my copay and said they couldn't refund it then, but had to apply it to the account instead. I finally walked out, with no apology, an upset baby, and with tears welling up in my eyes. I cried all the way home. I just kept praying to have a good attitude and that this would be a lesson in patience and self control. Aaron called this afternoon and took care of everything, is going back to get our money back, and straightened things out with BCBS. Praise God for a wonderful husband!

On a more positive note, after Azaylee got up from her Tylenol induced nap we tried some rice cereal! She has been grabbing food off my plate lately, trying to stick my fork in her mouth and opening her mouth in a chewing movement while watching us eat, so I figured it wouldn't hurt even though she just turned 4 months yesterday. She loved it. She kept using her fingers to shove more and more into her mouth. It was so funny to watch. She licked the spoon then her fingers and then opened her mouth for more. I was really thinking, "has someone secretly been giving her food? She acts like she's a pro at this." Here are some pics. They are a little blurry, because they are from my video camera.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

wonderfulwinfreys said...

aww ash, what an awful day! I'm so sorry! Russ and I had a similar situation at a hotel we stayed at once. We went in on a Thursday to make sure we were paid for the whole week and the lady said You're all paid up. The next day we came back to the hotel to find ourselves locked out. They took our deposit and even though there were witnesses who said they heard the desk clerk tell us we were paid that spoke up in our behalf, we were treated like criminals by the staff! It was a terrible, terrible day and I think I cried for hours afterwards. It still upsets me thinking about it. I'm so sorry that Azaylee didn't get her checkup and that you were treated like that. I can't believe they made you wait there so long for nothing. I hope your day gets better and I'm glad Aaron took care of it all.

P.S. it's so cool that Azaylee's eating food now! Cute photos!

Brooke said...

Oh Ashley, I'm so sorry! Might be time to look for a new pedi? :) I'm glad that you were able to turn the day around and Miss Azaylee cheered you up by eating like such a big girl! We're going to try some cereal tonight ourselves! I just hope it goes as well for us!

Hilary Ann said...

we started Zach on rice cereal when he was 4 months old, too. And for the exact same reasons. It was hilarious to see him grab for our food! He has love it and even more so now that we've started a couple veggies (just past the 5 month mark). Some kids are just ready.