Thursday, May 7, 2009

10 years and counting...

I met Aaron in 7th grade. We had several classes together and I always got to sit behind him being that I was a Griffin and he was a Forsyth. I graded his papers, which was always easy bc he never got anything less than a 100. I also listened to all of his funny stories and jokes, which are still mostly the same today, btw. There was something very different about Aaron. Everyone I hung out with used bad language, listened to Marilyn Manson, gossiped and cheated in school. Aaron didn't. He was weird. Aaron was the president of C2J, the school's Christian club, which stood for Committed to Jesus. He talked about church and was very good. I had to know more. So everyday I would pass Aaron notes on the edges of his papers that I graded, or have my friends talk to him. At the time, everyone was "going out." Of course this didn't mean you went anywhere, just meant you were boyfriend and girlfriend....which really just meant you walked down the hall together and passed triangular shaped notes to each other. I wanted that. I wanted to walk down the hall together and talk to Aaron about why he was the way he was. So, I asked him to go out. =) I sent him a note in class with the whole check yes or no section. And he ALWAYS circled "or". Everyday, I got to know him a little better throughout the semester and he explained to me that he was a Christian and really planted that seed with me. To make a long story short, throughout the semester he told me that he would tell me his real answer, not just "or", by the end of the school year. On May 7th, one of the last days of the semester, Aaron told my best friend Molly that I needed to pay attention bc I would get the answer that day. (cheesy, I know, but we were 12 ;) SO all day I watched and finally when my mom pulled up to the lot to get me, I thought oh well....but I still turned around to watch as we pulled away....AND as you can all guess...... 10 years ago today, Aaron nodded his head to me in the car rider lot at 3:47pm at East Union Middle School. ;) AND I just knew I would marry him and make him my very own. I became a Christian over that summer before 8th grade. Aaron and I continued to pass notes, went on our first date at nearly 16, four years later and knew that the Lord had called us to get married. This is a very unusual story and definitely wasn't the easiest way to go about pursuing marriage, but in the end, God has ordained this and made it into a story that honors and glorifies Him.

Thank you for being a wonderful husband, Aaron! Thank you for always following Christ and sharing that with me throughout our journey. You are my very best friend and I appreciate all that you do for me. Thank you for leading in our relationship and taking care of me. I still think your jokes are hilarious and love being able to share in all the inside jokes from so long ago. I LOVE YOU! I am looking forward to all the years to come and what God has in store for us! :)


8th grade dance, when Aaron was shorter than me

Junior Prom 2003

Engagement 2005

Wedding day 2006

2008

7 comments:

Christa said...

aww ashley you made me cry, that was so sweet!

word verification: miten
add an "s" and it's exactly what you are with Aaron

Anne said...

Ashley, you and Aaron have one of the most precious and unusual stories I've ever heard. I just love it! You do such a good job communicating your love, respect, and appreciation of Aaron. You two are a wonderful example.

Azaylee is being born to two really special parents!

Brooke said...

That's so sweet! I'm so happy for you! Its nice to know there are other couples that love God and each other as much as Josh and I do. You two are really sweet together!

Unknown said...

This has to be one of the sweetest love stories I have ever read! Seriously! Thank you so much for sharing it with us...you guys are just so fun to watch. What a sweet story the Lord has given you!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet!

The Nilsen Nest said...

What a sweet story! Happy Anniversary!

Molly Coleman said...

Im so glad that I saw the start of this beautiful relationship, and now you two are having a baby! I love you to so much! and I am so very happy for you two!!